Mavar is seeking a Head of Education to support its work with young men and women from the Charedi community who have taken the challenging decision to follow a different path in life.
Mavar offers a confidential service for people who have grown up within the strictly orthodox Charedi community and are now exploring options to work, study or live in the modern world. Founded on the belief that everyone has the right to choose their own path in life, we provide professional, caring, and confidential guidance to help each individual achieve personal goals.
Mavar is now at an exciting and key point in its growth, and is seeking someone to lead the education work in our senior leadership team. You will help Mavar members understand the strengths and weaknesses of making specific subject choices in relation to their ultimate career goals, have an understanding of the appropriate qualifications that they would need, and supporting with relevant information at every stage and assessment of their academic and personal qualities.
The role involves:
- Building trusting and empathetic relationships with Mavar’s service users (members), including checking in with them when they are on their courses.
- Guiding and supporting members on their educational choices and aspirations, and researching the pathways to achieve this.
- Conducting assessments of members’ educational levels.
- Researching and being aware of various appropriate courses.
- Guiding members through the application, interview & funding process, including with mock interviews.
- Coordinating and managing Education Team volunteers.
- Re-establishing and coordinating Mavar’s tutoring service, including recruiting and supporting volunteers and educational resources.
- Staying in touch with volunteer mentors throughout any interactions with members in order to provide holistic support.
- Maintain good records of interactions and actions.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with educational partners.
- Contributing to the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on Mavar’s education work.
- Attending meetings with Mavar’s Board of Management as needed.
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Proven teaching and pastoral guidance experience, within an educational environment.
- Sympathetic manner
- Understanding of mainstream qualifications and courses
- Understanding of career pathways, including vocational ones.
- Excellent IT skills, including MS Office Suite and Google Drive.
- Sound organisational and project management skills with the ability to translate strategic plans into action.
- Strongly empathetic to Mavar’s values and mission.
- Commitment to working confidentially and with discretion at all times.
- Knowledge of functional skills qualifications and alternatives to A levels eg. Access courses.
- Knowledge of the student funding system.
- Familiarity with centres of learning in North London.
- Knowledge of online/distance learning courses across a range of subjects and qualifications.
Candidates need to demonstrate a personal or working relationship with the Jewish community.
Pay, Hours & Location
This is a freelance role paying up to £18 per hour for 10 – 15 hours per week. You will mostly work from home, though meetings in north London may be required. This role tends to be busier in May-July and around the UCAS deadline in January.
This role is subject to the passing of an Enhanced DBS check.
Mavar is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships. We strongly encourage individuals with lived experience of growing up in the Charedi world to apply.
Mavar assures you that the information which you give is strictly confidential and will be used only for the purpose for which it has been supplied.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining how you feel your skills, knowledge and experience can help advance Mavar’s objectives, and what in particular interests you about the role and the charity. Please include any access or additional needs that we should be aware of as part of the recruitment process.
Two references are also required, but these will only be taken up on appointment. Recruitment will be conducted on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
For further information about Mavar, please visit www.mavar.org.uk. For a confidential conversation about the role please call Amos Schonfield, CEO, on 07442 209283.